If you’ve ever had a conversation with me, after awhile it usually goes down the “What I’ve been reading lately” bunny trail. (How’s that for a run on, intro sentence- my old Boss – would be rolling!) Anyway, at the of 2014, my world was knocked off its axis when my Mother who had been battling cancer for 30 years was suddenly taken from us. As a way for the world to make sense again, I began to read. It was a love I had abandoned because I just simply didn’t have the time or the energy. Okay, I’ll admit I went a bit over board that first year, barely coming up for air to care for my family and myself. As the grief, ebbed and flowed, a new vision and direction began to surface. Here’s a list of life changing books in no order other than the first one.
1. The Bible- Need I say more… I don’t think there’s a book on this planet that is more studied and taught on. There’s a reason people… read it for yourself. Don’t prejudge Believers too- if you want to know the source – go to it. I know I’ve read passages before and lightly gone over them- only to re-read something and it would rock my world! It’s is Life, period!
2. The God I Never Knew by Robert Morris – I attend a Weekly Woman’s Bible Study at my Church. When it was suggested as a study I had no idea how much it would impact me. Wow just Wow! Robert Morris also has companion Videos you can watch on YouTube. The Holy Spirit is often dismissed… here He is introduced to you in a compelling, world-rocking way. I won’t go backwards after reading this and doing this study.
3. TurboCharged Diet by Dian and Tom Griesel. This diet was suggested to me and my sister by her neighbor. I started reading this on a road trip- I mean really- who enjoys reading diet books? This Girl doesn’t, but it has been a game changer! Tired? Middle aged? Putting on weight? Want to change that and not give in to the middle aged spread? Want to have energy for your kids and yourself? To pursue your passions instead on plopping on the couch every night? Read the book- make the change. I promise you will not regret it! I’ve lost 19 Lbs. On my little 5′,2″ frame and feel better than a 25 year old! Is it hard? Maybe at first, but when you feel so good and people take notice – you don’t want to stop! I’ve been living the good life for over a year! BTW, it’s NOT KETO.
4. Called to Create by Jordan Raynor. This book is the answer to the calling I’ve had on my life in regard to career and my faith. If you are in business and your faith is your Cornerstone- this is a must read! Super encouraging, Raynor is a C.S. Lewis fan too. He is an accomplished business man who highlights Little known people of faith who are wildly successful and who use that to impact the World. This book is “Just what the Doctor Ordered” for me.
5. Girls with Swords by Lisa Bevere. Hmmm, have you ever felt that there was more to your faith other than attending church and volunteering for various ministries? How’s your prayer life? Are you praying the Word over your situation as a Daughter if the King??Do you know who you are in Him? How the enemy sees you? Another must read as a Daughter if the Most High (that’s you) who loves you dearly.
6. Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. As of right now, I’m half way thru this book. Is it possible to take a highlighter to an entire book? Maybe not but I am underlining, and writing notes wherever I can in this book. It’s a great encourager to women to pursue their purpose, no one is perfect, let’s work & encourage one another along the way, Tribe of World Changers… can’t wait to finish.
Side Note: I’ve finished the book and I can’t say I agree with all of her view points. I still love that it encourages you to go after your dreams, and yes there are pitfalls but that’s part of the process.
I want to encourage you to read, listen to sermons, pod casts while you are driving around or at the gym working out. Knowledge is powerful but that can’t happen if you close yourself off. Surround yourself with good, caring people- like minded people.
I am fortunate enough to meet up with a group of wonderful, entrepreneurial minded women- it’s had tremendous impact! You know who you are and I love you!
I also attend and participate in a women’s Bible Study. I can’t tell how much I’ve grown spiritually – not to mention all the beautiful friendships I’ve developed as well.
Well, that’s my list so far! I would love to hear what your thoughts are and if you read any of the books I’ve mentioned!
Until we meet again Friends!